The articles of the Fryske Akademy clearly state our objective:
‘Maintaining a study group that focuses on research concerning Fryslân, the Frisian people and the Frisian culture, all in the broadest sense.’
This is the main objective of the Fryske Akademy in the long run. The specific goals for the next few years are described in the strategic policy plan 2010-2014.
We express our objective in the following ways:
- The Fryske Akademy enhances the knowledge of the Frisian language, history, culture and society by means of research and makes the results available to a national and international public of experts.
- The Fryske Akademy publishes academic books, articles and reports on the Frisian language, culture, history and society; and it organises lectures, conferences and symposiums.
- We spread the word, for instance by making the major Dictionary of the Frisian Language (WFT) and the HIStorical Geographical Information System HISGIS generally available online.
- We initiate and participate in projects in which the sociological, psychological and pedagogical aspects of the Frisian society take centre stage, such as Boppeslach and Mercator (the European Research Centre on Multilingualism and Language Learning).
- By endowing chairs at the universities of Leyden and Amsterdam, the Fryske Akademy allows for academic education and research in the fields of Frisian language and literature, and the medieval history of Fryslân.
Als men niet kan zeilen moet men laveren