Heritage, coastal regions, middle ages, interdisciplinary research, Frisia, vikings
Nelleke IJssennagger-van der Pluijm (Hengelo (O) 1986) has been Managing-Director with a research task at the Fryske Akademy since March 2021. Before that she was Regional Curator in Cornwall at the National Trust in England and Curator of Mound Culture and Middle Ages at the Fries Museum.
In 2017 she obtained her PhD with her thesis "Central because Liminal. Frisia in a Viking Age North Sea World" at the University of Groningen.
She is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquities of London.
IJssennagger-van der Pluijm, N.L. and J. Hines (ed.) 2021. Frisians of the Early Middle Ages
IJssennagger-van der Pluijm, N.L. and J. Hines (eds.) 2017. Frisians and their North Sea Neighbours; From the Fifth Century to the Viking Age
- Member of the curatorium of the Nordfriisk Institute in Bräist/ Bredstedt (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany), an independent, publicly funded scientific institution for research, promotion and preservation of the North Frisian language, history and culture.
- Member of the Koordinierender Ausschuss of the Sachsensymposion
- Member Advisory Board Campus Fryslân
- Vice-president collaborative project Frisian knowledge institutions
- Member Supervisory Board Nootstroom
- Jury member of the Science Prize Campus Fryslân (2023)