Areas of expertise
multilingual education; minority languages; migrant languages; language acquisition in a multilingual context
More opportunities with multilingualism (researcher)
TEACH-D: Teaching in Diversity (researcher)
COMBI II: Communication competences for migrants and disadvantaged background learners in bilingual work environments (researcher)
Langscape Network (researcher)
Joana Duarte (Lisbon, 1977) studied modern languages (English and Portugese) and linguistics at the University of Lisbon. Afterwards she followed the postdoctoral teacher training programme for English and Portugese in secondary education, and worked as a teacher on a secondary school in Santarém. In 2004 she obtained a master's degree in Intercultural Education at the University of Hamburg. In 2009 she defended her Phd thesis concerning her study on language development in children on bilingual schools in Hamburg. In Germany she worked between 2008 and 2015 as researcher on the universities of Keulen and Hamburg. Since 2015 she lives and works in the Netherlands. She is a teacher at the master Multilingualism and the bachelor Minorities & Multilingualism of the University of Groningen, and she is associate lector for multilingualism (Drents and German) at the Stenden University of Applied Sciences in Emmen. In her research, Duarte focusses on multilingualism in education, on the transference of language skills among languages, and on language use in multilingual contexts. At this moment she is post-doctoral researcher at Mercator European Research Centre for Multilingualism and Language Learning of the Fryske Akademy. Here, she works on projects concerning multilingualism in education and society.
- Duarte, Joana and Günther-van der Meij, Mirjam (in print). Trilingual primary schools in Friesland: the silver bullet in times of growing diversity? In: Kambel, Ellen-Rose and Agirdag, Orhan (eds.): Meertaligheid en onderwijs: Nederlands Plus. Rutu Foundation.
- Duarte, Joana and Gogolin, Ingrid (2016). Superdiversity, multilingualism and awareness. In: Gorter, Durk and Cenoz, Jasone (eds): Encyclopedia on Language and Education, Volume on “Multilingualism and Language Awareness”, Amsterdam: Springer, 1-16.
- Duarte, Joana (2016). Translanguaging in mainstream education: a sociocultural approach, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2016.1231774.
- Duarte, Joana (2015). Cross-linguistic transfer in multilingual adolescents. In: Peukert, Hagen (ed.): Language Transfer and Multilingualism, Hamburg Studies on Linguistic Diversity. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing, 221-248. Moreira, Maria Alfredo,
- Duarte, Joana and Flores, Cristina (2014). Teacher education curriculum for teaching immigrant students in Portuguese schools. In: Sustainable Multilingualism 4, 132-148.
- Duarte, Joana and Gogolin, Ingrid (2013). Linguistic Super-Diversity in Urban Areas – Research Approaches. Hamburg Studies on Linguistic Diversity. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing.
- Duarte, Joana (2013). Migration and multilingualism. The challenge of language diversity for European education systems. In: Caruana, Sandro, Coposescu, Liliana and Scaglione, Stefania (eds): Migration, Multilingualism, and Schooling in Southern Europe. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 49-62.
- Duarte, Joana and Gogolin, Ingrid (2012). Linguistic Diversity in Urban Areas and their Schools”, Special issue of the journal Tertium Comparationis – Journal for International and Intercultural Comparative Educational Sciences 18 (2), Münster: Waxmann Verlag.
- Duarte, Joana (2011). Migrants’ educational success through innovation: The case of the Hamburg bilingual schools. In: Alidou, Hassana, Nikiéma, Norbert, Glanz, Christine (eds), Special issue for the International Review of Education on Principles and Innovations in Multilingual Education 57 (5-6), 631-649.
- Duarte, Joana (2011). Bilingual Language Proficiency. A Comparative Study. Münster: Waxmann Verlag.