From 18 to 20 May 2016, rhoticists of the world gather at the Fryske Akademy, where the fifth international workshop on various aspects of rhotics is hosted.
‘r-atics 5, the fifth international workshop on phonetic, phonological, acquisitional, sociolinguistic and dialect-geographic aspects of rhotics, will be hosted from 18-20 May 2016 at the Fryske Akademy in Leeuwarden/Ljouwert, The Netherlands.
Previous ‘r-atics symposia were organised in Nijmegen (2000), Brussels (2002), Bozen/Bolzano (2011) and Grenoble (2013). The workshop brings together scholars from different linguistic disciplines researching various aspects of rhotics in a wide range of languages.
Rhotics, a word derived from the Greek letter rho (ϱ), are the R-like sounds in language. Studies addressing rhotics often have similar goals and produce mutually informing results, but they are commonly presented in distinct conferences and journals, creating barriers to the integration of the insights and hampering our understanding of rhotics and the role they play in a wide number of phenomena (e.g., speaker identification, language variation and change, language acquisition).
The fifth edition of ‘r-atics is organised by Hans Van de Velde (Fryske Akademy), Roeland van Hout (Radboud University Nijmegen) and Koen Sebregts (Utrecht University).
- Michael Proctor (Macquarie University, Sydney)
- Cédric Gendrot (Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3)
- Odette Scharenborg (Radboud University Nijmegen)
- Abstract submission deadline: 4 January 2016
- Notice of acceptance: 20 January 2016
- Early bird registration: 15 March 2016
- Workshop: 18-20 May 2016
In the tradition of ‘r-atics, we will ensure a highly focused and interactive event in a friendly and stimulating atmosphere. It is a mid-size workshop series with about 40 participants. All sessions are plenary and the poster session is an important part of the program. Work in progress and research plans are very welcome in the poster session.
A style sheet for abstracts and the guidelines for posters and oral presentations can be found in this document (PDF). You can use this template for the final abstracts.
Download the provisional program (PDF).
The registration fee includes lunches, dinners and refreshments during the conference (on 18, 19 and 20 May 2016). Please note that one-day registration is only available for visitors not presenting a paper or a poster at the workshop.
- Full workshop: early bird registration until 15 March 2016 (normal) – € 200
- Full workshop: early bird registration until 15 March 2016 (student) – € 125
- Full workshop: registration after 15 March 2016 (normal) – € 250
- Full workshop: registration after 15 March 2016 (student) – € 175
- One day: early bird registration until 15 March 2016 (normal) – € 80
- One day: early bird registration until 15 March 2016 (student) – € 50
- One day: registration after 15 March 2016 (normal) – € 100
- One day: registration after 15 March 2016 (student) – € 75
Online registration and payment (iDeal, Visa, Maestro, MasterCard) is possible via this registration form.
Accommodation and travel info
During the conference, the Hampshire Oranje Hotel Leeuwarden offers a special price for an overnight stay in the hotel in the period 17, 18 and 19th of May 2016. The single room rate is € 89,00 per room per night including breakfast. The supplement for a double room is € 15,00 per night.
You can reserve this special price by phone +31 (0) 58 212 62 41 or by e-mail: email@example.com. Please refer to "R ATICS 5".
All travel information can be found on our Accessibility and parking page.